A Transition to Abstract Mathematics: Learning Mathematical Thinking and Writing Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
Constructing concise and correct proofs is one of the most challenging aspects of learning to work with advanced mathematics. Meeting this challenge is a defining moment for those considering a career in mathematics or related fields. A Transition to Abstract Mathematics teaches readers to construct proofs and communicate with the precision necessary for working with abstraction. It is based on two premises: composing clear and accurate mathematical arguments is critical in abstract mathematics, and that this skill requires development and support. Abstraction is the destination, not the starting point.
Maddox methodically builds toward a thorough understanding of the proof process, demonstrating and encouraging mathematical thinking along the way. Skillful use of analogy clarifies abstract ideas. Clearly presented methods of mathematical precision provide an understanding of the nature of mathematics and its defining structure.
After mastering the art of the proof process, the reader may pursue two independent paths. The latter parts are purposefully designed to rest on the foundation of the first, and climb quickly into analysis or algebra. Maddox addresses fundamental principles in these two areas, so that readers can apply their mathematical thinking and writing skills to these new concepts. From this exposure, readers experience the beauty of the mathematical landscape and further develop their ability to work with abstract ideas.
- Covers the full range of techniques used in proofs, including contrapositive, induction, and proof by contradiction
- Explains identification of techniques and how they are applied in the specific problem
- Illustrates how to read written proofs with many step by step examples
- Includes 20% more exercises than the first edition that are integrated into the material instead of end of chapter
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $89.95. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.