Bartleby The Scrivener Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
The narrator of this tale of corporate discontent is an elderly lawyer who runs a profitable business handling the official financial paperwork of wealthy men. He hires Bartleby, a dispirited-looking notary, as an additional member of his staff. One day Bartleby is asked to proofread one of the documents he copied to which he simply replies that he would prefer not to. This is only the first of many refusals to the narrator’s dismay and the disapproval of the other employees. Bartleby continues to participate less and less in the office work. The narrator makes many efforts to deal with him, but Bartleby refuses to perform his duties. Soon he is not working at all, and since the narrator cannot get him to leave, he moves his offices to a new location to avoid a wasted reputation. But Bartleby takes up a kind of residence at the old place, and the new tenants ask for the narrator’s help. When Bartleby is forced out of the offices, he roams the hallways. The narrator makes one final attempt to reason with him, but Bartleby rejects him. The narrator is away from work a few days, and when he returns he discovers that Bartleby has been put in prison. The narrator visits him there, finding him more sullen than usual. He bribes a guard to make sure he is well fed. The narrator returns a few days later to learn that Bartleby has died, having preferred not to eat. This well-written treatment has made Bartleby one of literature’s most forsaken characters, illustrating life’s tiring and rigorous process, full of deadening compromises and obedience to inconsequential labor. Please Note: This book has been reformatted to be easy to read in true text, not scanned images that can sometimes be difficult to decipher. The Microsoft eBook has a contents page linked to the chapter headings for easy navigation. The Adobe eBook has bookmarks at chapter headings and is printable up to two full copies per year. Both versions are text searchable.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $2.99. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.