Bonaparte in Egypt Ebook
Publication Date: May 2011
File Size: 1569 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
The French expedition to Egypt, which Bonaparte launched in 1798, was one of the most exciting, harrowing, futile, and yet most fruitful adventures in modern times. Although the expedition was doomed, and almost everyone in it had only one wish-to go home-the impact of the three years of French occupation left a lasting mark on Egypt. The book is crowded with dramatic episodes. We see the French, without supplies, crossing the desert in midsummer and, without a rest, fighting the Battle of the Pyramids. We witness the glories and horrors of the Battle of the Nile, the uprising of Cairo, the butcheries at Jaffa and at Acre, the labors of the Institute of Egypt, the ravages of the plague, and the unbelievable game that Bonaparte played with Islam. The personalities are no less colorful than the incidents. Besides Bonaparte, who revealed, while in Egypt, his most repulsive and his most admirable qualities, there are the forthright and caustic General Kléber; Lord Nelson of the Nile; the uncatchable Mameluke Murad Bey; the Pasha of Acre, who gloried in the surname Djezzar, ""the Butcher""; and the chivalrous and eccentric Sir Sidney Smith. Add to that list the selfless and heroic General Desaix; Dr. Desgenettes, who inoculated himself with the plague and survived to give Bonaparte a public dressing-down; General Menou, who became a Moslem to marry a bath-keeper’s daughter; and Pauline Fourés, who became Bonaparte’s mistress in one of the more ludicrous episodes of the campaign. Christopher Herold has drawn on official documents, on Arabic chronicles, on the memoirs and diaries of generals, officers, simple soldiers, artists, engineers, and physicians. He has also visited the countries where the action took place and pushed thoroughness to the point of contracting (briefly) Egyptian ophthalmia; although he stopped short at seeking first-hand experience with the plague. If you wish to understand the Napoleonic Era, this book is a must read.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- We retrieve ratings from several sources on the web for your convenience. They are often good enough indicator of the work. In addition, you can also read Reviews.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $7.49. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.