Burgesses and Burgess Law in the Latin Kingdoms of Jerusalem and Cyprus (1099-1325) Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
This is the first book devoted to the study of burgesses in the Latin Kingdoms of Jerusalem and Cyprus (1099-1325). It offers a comprehensive assessment of the contributions made by the non-feudal class to the development of legal and commercial institutions in the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries. Dispensing with the commonly held view that burgesses had only marginal influence, evidence is presented to illustrate how the existence of a ‘middle class’ was essential to the ambitions of the kingdoms’ leaders. A systematic examination of all relevant contemporary source material- charters, law-books and narrative accounts- sheds light on how serfs and freemen, originating from diverse regions of Europe, were able to organise themselves into a class whose status set them apart from non-Latin Christians and Muslims. The study considers at length the different ways in which burgess legislation was formulated; traces the gradual development of the Cour des Bourgeois, the court of burgesses, in terms of its composition and competence; describes in detail the burgess laws of Acre and Nicosia which related, for example, to marriage and inheritance; and defines the special characteristics of a type of property known as a borgesie which was mostly but not exclusively in the hands of burgesses. Dr Nader’s research, furthermore, reveals the complexity of burgess jurisdiction and legislation in the East, and advocates the theory that secular courts established by ecclesiastical institutions exercised authority over burgesses and borgesies in matters which went beyond the parameters of purely ecclesiastical jurisdiction.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $57.95. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.