Diggers: Discovering Artifacts from Two World Wars Ebook
Publication Date: January 2012
File Size: 3739 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
_The snake, half a meter long, was twisted around the handle of the pail from which I had just dumped 10 liters of swamp water and peat moss, as we worked to release a fuselage. I looked at it for a while and then grabbed it by one end and removed it from the bucket.
“Guys, look! Aren’t these the intestines of the flier?” I said to my colleagues, who were bailing water out of the hole. Their conversation and the splash of water fell silent for a moment. The diggers looked at me. The Classicist, standing at the other end of the ditch, agreed with me. “Those are his intestines.” The Communicator, holding the intestines in his hands, put it more vividly: “He’s divided up into molecules here.”_
This book is the story-intimate and moving in the telling-of a group of Latvian men who refer to themselves as the Diggers. This platoon of digger colleagues gathers from disparate fields and disciplines. Digging in the old trenches and sunken bunkers of the Latvian forest, you may find, among others, the Communicator, the Classicist, the Forest Man, Little Spirit, and the venerable Legend.
Their human findings-sometimes grisly, like the “snake” above, and always thought-provoking-are handled as sacred objects. Their reverence extends to the skulls and bones of all the fallen warriors. German and Soviet ammunition and war materiel are so mixed together on some battlegrounds that the Diggers cannot determine whose side they are working on. Human remains are accumulated and reburied in marked graves. Every year bodies identified as Russian soldiers are ceremoniously turned over to the Russian ambassador to Latvia.
Their abiding interest is in discovering and preserving what happened in the Latvian forest during the two major wars of this century. As they uncover the large number of men left dead in their last defensive fortifications, the Diggers often think that their work is perhaps the only semblance of victory to have occurred in that place.
For author bio and photo, reviews, and a reading sample, go to www.bosonbooks.com
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- We retrieve ratings from several sources on the web for your convenience. They are often good enough indicator of the work. In addition, you can also read Reviews.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $3.42. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.