Dissenters, Radicals, Heretics and Blasphemers Ebook
The Flame of Revolt That Shines Through English History
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
Shows the historical importance of challenges to the state and powerful groups. Demonstrates how rights we take for granted have been acquired and set into law over time thanks to the actions of committed men and women. A key historical text. A certain level of dissent, protest and open debate is a central part of UK history and democratic processes. Taking key events from both the past and modern times John Hostettler demonstrates how when legitimate avenues of challenge to the actions of the state or other powerful groups become closed to people then they are bound to assert their grievances in other sometimes less acceptable ways. His book also shows how a proud tradition of opposition in the face of abuse of power, repression, oppression or simply inertia of the part of the authorities has led to many positive changes. Sometimes these quite legitimate outcomes might not have been achieved but for the actions of the few, those who were prepared to stand out against such things as injustice, inequality, corruption, abuse and state-sponsored oppression. John Hostettler also demonstrates how at different times in British history the state has reacted in different ways to ‘trouble causers’, including in some instances by the use of extreme forms of violence, censorship, law and punishments. From questionable incidents of the past to the sometimes dubious workings of modern-day governance, John Hostettler provides a first-rate assessment of such key matters as proportionality, citizens’ rights, tolerance/intolerance, democratic processes and the protections forged over the years. He also shows how the law itself has developed even if this has sometimes quelled the opportunities to oppose vested interests or wealth and power. Waterside Press congratulates John Hostettler on his 21st book written to the same fine standard as all his other works. A must for legal and social historians. Review ‘This book is a glorious Molotov cocktail to be placed in the hands of every citizen and lobbed at the status quo… A brilliant and exhilarating work. A counter to the politics of passivity’: Helena Kennedy QC Author John Hostettler is one of the UK’s most acclaimed authors on English legal history and legal biography, whose works span a wide range of related topics. He was a practising solicitor in London for thirty-five years as well as undertaking political and civil liberties cases in Nigeria, Germany and Aden. His earlier books include several biographical and historical works and his books for Waterside Press include: Champions of the Rule of Law (2011); Sir William Garrow (2010); Thomas Erskine and Trial by Jury (2010); Cesare Beccaria (2010); A History of Criminal Justice in England and Wales (2009);The Criminal Jury Old and New;Fighting for Justice- The History and Origins of Adversary Trial; andHanging in the Balance – A History of the Abolition of Capital Punishment in Britain (with Dr Brian P. Block).
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $20.00. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.