Dynamics and Transparency in Vowel Harmony Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
This dissertation examines the phonological patterning as well as phonetic characteristics of transparent vowels in Hungarian palatal vowel harmony. Traditionally, these vowels are assumed to be excluded from participating in harmony alternations. The experimental data presented in this dissertation run contrary to this assumption. The data show that transparent vowels in Hungarian are articulated differently depending on the harmonic domain in which they occur. Based on this observation, the central claim defended and formalized in this dissertation is that continuous phonetic details of all stem vowels including the transparent vowels are relevant for the phonological alternation in suffixes. The dissertation proposes an integrated model that relates phonetic and phonological aspects of vowel harmony using the formal language of non-linear dynamic. The advantage of this approach is in its potential to capture both qualitative as well as quantitative aspects of the same pattern in a unified way. Crucially, a dynamic approach allows one to express both phonological and phonetic generalizations while maintaining the essential distinction between them. Hence, the dynamic approach provides a feasible research strategy in the quest for understanding one of the continuing challenges in the study of speech: the relation between phonology- the mental or symbolic aspects of our speaking competence, and phonetics – continuous physical manifestations of this competence. Applied to the particular case of transparency in Hungarian vowel harmony, the premise of interdependency between the phonetic properties of the stem vowels and the phonological patterns of suffix selection allows for an explanation of a broad range of data. Most importantly, it provides a motivation for the cross-linguistic generalizations related to transparent vowels in palatal vowel harmony systems. In addition, the effects of tongue body height, lip rounding, and surrounding vocalic context on the suffix selection in Hungarian receive a natural and lawful explanation. To summarize, this dissertation presents novel experimental data from the production of transparent vowels in Hungarian. The proposed integrated model, relating phonetics and phonology using the formal language of non-linear dynamic, achieves a unified explanation of both the phonetic and phonological generalizations observed in the data and the literature.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $28.00. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.