Journeys East: 20th Century Western Encounters with Eastern Religious Traditions Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
“The West’s modern encounter with the East, particularly in the religious domain, was one of the most momentous events of our time.[yet] despite the many distinguished studies in the field, there [is] a certain gap which might usefully be filled.” With these words, the author of Journeys East, Harry Oldmeadow, begins to fill that gap. If we accept, as the author does, “that Eastern religious traditions, even today and despite the ravages of modernization, are custodians of a wisdom of which the West stands in the most urgent need,” then this book traces for us how and when that wisdom has had an impact on modern Western thought and spirituality in a stunning variety of ways. In short, Journeys East presents readers with a sweeping view of events and people that have contributed and are still contributing much to the assimilation of Eastern ideas into modern Western thought. Oldmeadow moves quickly through the history of Western engagements with Eastern traditions, looks at Eastern influences on Western thought, and concludes with some observations on cross-cultural religious understanding and the inner unity of religions. The two concluding chapters offer important keys that can not only help us to recognize the spirit of the East in current Western ideas, but also to unlock its expansive and timeless secrets within our own intellectual and spiritual lives. Professor Harry Oldmeadow is currently the Coordinator of Philosophy and Religious Studies at La Trobe University in Bendigo, Australia. Over the last decade he has published extensively in such journals as Sacred Web, Sophia, and Asian Philosophy.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $9.85. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.