Mentoring, Methods, and Movements Ebook
Colloquium in Honor of Terence K. Hopkins by His Former Students and the Fernand Braudel Center for the Study of Ec
You're about to purchase a Downloadable Ebook
Hi, sorry for the interruption!
We're repeating some important information here to ensure that you're making an informed purchase. Please review it.
- Don't get caught unaware. Preview ebook and open the sample ebook on each of your intended devices before continuing.
- You will need a Free 3rd-party application that can read the intermediate .acsm file you will receive as download. PDF/Epub format is downloaded automatically by the application thereafter. Please install the necessary software first on your intended device of use.
- e-Book can be copied on up to 6 devices that must have the same Adobe ID
- We can only keep the download on our site until the ebook publishers/distributors authorize us to do so. Please keep a backup.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
Refunds are not allowed after the ebook is opened so please open the ebook directly on your intended device. Refund requests should be recieved within 7 days after download is made available. Of course, if you get an incorrect ebook ( different from what is mentioned in the title) or if the ebook doesn't open on the initial device, then we'll assist with fixing the issue or get you a refund if a timely fix isn't available.
We currently only provide ticket (online form submission) or email support. Rest assured that you're in good hands; customers like our professional service!
Publication Date: January 2017
File Size: 6992 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
( 22.22% savings )
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once opened are non-refundable. View return policy .
- OnlineBookPlace.com Store Reviews on Google and Yahoo
Terence Kilbourne Hopkins (1929-1997) was a hidden gem of the field of world-systems studies who contributed indispensably to its foundation amid a lifelong collaboration and friendship with Immanuel Wallerstein. His pedagogical humanism, methodological rigor, and scientific commitment to social change, merged with his creatively flexible administrative skills to found the Graduate Program in Sociology at Binghamton University (SUNY). The student-centered, autonomous program fostered the formation of critically-minded scholars who pursue transdisciplinary sociology while fusing deeply personal commitments to long-term, large-scale social change.
In this significantly updated twentieth anniversary second edition of Mentoring, Methods, and Movements , Terence K. Hopkins’s former students organizing and contributing to a colloquium in his honor a few months before his untimely passing in January 1997 share key insights about what made him so unique and impactful in shaping their practices of engaged sociology—informed by an always open, dynamic, and self-reinventing World-Systems Analysis.
Editors: Immanuel Wallerstein and Mohammad H. Tamdgidi
Contributors: Lu Aiguo, Rod Bush, Nancy Forsythe, Walter L. Goldfrank, Terence K. Hopkins, Resat Kasaba, Richard E. Lee , William G. Martin, Philip McMichael, Ravi Arvind Palat, Elizabeth McLean Petras, Beverly Silver, Evan Stark, Mohammad H. Tamdgidi, Immanuel Wallerstein
Immanuel Wallerstein: Introduction ix
I. Graduate Education: The Formation of Scholars
1. Walter L. Goldfrank: _ Deja Voodoo All Over Again: Rereading the Classics_ 3
2. William G. Martin: Opening Graduate Education: Expanding the Hopkins Paradigm 9
3. Ravi Arvind Palat: Terence Hopkins and the Decolonization of World-Historical Studies 27
4. Immanuel Wallerstein: Pedagogy and Scholarship 35
II. Methods of World-Historical Social Science
5. Resat Kasaba: Studying Empires, States, and Peoples: Polanyi, Hopkins, and Others 43
6. Richard E. Lee: Thinking the Past/Making the Future: Methods and Purpose in World-Historical Social Science 51
7. Philip McMichael: The Global Wage Relations as an Instituted Market 57
8. Elizabeth McLean Petras: Globalism Meets Regionalism: Process versus Place 63
9. Beverly Silver: The Time and Space of Labor Unrest 83
III. Scholars and Movements
10. Rod Bush: Hegemony and Resistance in the United States: The Contradictions of Race and Class 89
11. Nancy Forsythe: Theorizing About Gender: The Contributions of Terence K. Hopkins 101
12. Lu Aiguo: From Beijing to Binghamton and Back: A Personal Reflection on the Trajectory of Chinese Intellectuals 115
13. Evan Stark: Sociology as Social Work: A Case of Mis-Taken Identity 127
14. Terence K. Hopkins: Coda 143
Mohammad H. Tamdgidi: _ The Utopistics of Terence K. Hopkins, Twenty Years Later: A Postscript_ 145
Colloquium Photos 169
About the Contributors 193
Terence K. Hopkins Bibliography 205
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $36.55. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
After installing the appropriate app for your device, try a Sample Download (Sherlock Holmes from Project Gutenberg) before purchase. The sample is only for checking device compatibility.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.