Numerical Time-Dependent Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers Ebook
Publication Date: September 2010
File Size: 3589 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is permitted.
- You can copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
It is the first text that in addition to standard convergence theory treats other necessary ingredients for successful numerical simulations of physical systems encountered by every practitioner. The book is aimed at users with interests ranging from application modeling to numerical analysis and scientific software development. It is strongly influenced by the authors research in in space physics, electrical and optical engineering, applied mathematics, numerical analysis and professional software development. The material is based on a year-long graduate course taught at the University of Arizona since 1989. The book covers the first two-semesters of a three semester series. The second semester is based on a semester-long project, while the third semester requirement consists of a particular methods course in specific disciplines like computational fluid dynamics, finite element method in mechanical engineering, computational physics, biology, chemistry, photonics, etc.
The first three chapters focus on basic properties of partial differential equations, including analysis of the dispersion relation, symmetries, particular solutions and instabilities of the PDEs; methods of discretization and convergence theory for initial value problems. The goal is to progress from observations of simple numerical artifacts like diffusion, damping, dispersion, and anisotropies to their analysis and management technique, as it is not always possible to completely eliminate them.
In the second part of the book we cover topics for which there are only sporadic theoretical results, while they are an integral part and often the most important part for successful numerical simulation. We adopt a more heuristic and practical approach using numerical methods of investigation and validation. The aim is teach students subtle key issues in order to separate physics from numerics. The following topics are addressed: Implementation of transparent and absorbing boundary conditions; Practical stability analysis in the presence of the boundaries and interfaces; Treatment of problems with different temporal/spatial scales either explicit or implicit; preservation of symmetries and additional constraints; physical regularization of singularities; resolution enhancement using adaptive mesh refinement and moving meshes.
- Self contained presentation of key issues in successful numerical simulation
- Accessible to scientists and engineers with diverse background
- Provides analysis of the dispersion relation, symmetries, particular solutions and instabilities of the partial differential equations
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- We retrieve ratings from several sources on the web for your convenience. They are often good enough indicator of the work. In addition, you can also read Reviews.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $140.47. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.