Only Yesterday - An Informal History Of The Nineteen Twenties Ebook
You're about to purchase a Downloadable Ebook
Hi, sorry for the interruption!
We're repeating some important information here to ensure that you're making an informed purchase. Please review it.
- Don't get caught unaware. Preview ebook and open the sample ebook on each of your intended devices before continuing.
- You will need a Free 3rd-party application that can read the intermediate .acsm file you will receive as download. PDF/Epub format is downloaded automatically by the application thereafter. Please install the necessary software first on your intended device of use.
- e-Book can be copied on up to 6 devices that must have the same Adobe ID
- We can only keep the download on our site until the ebook publishers/distributors authorize us to do so. Please keep a backup.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
Refunds are not allowed after the ebook is opened so please open the ebook directly on your intended device. Refund requests should be recieved within 7 days after download is made available. Of course, if you get an incorrect ebook ( different from what is mentioned in the title) or if the ebook doesn't open on the initial device, then we'll assist with fixing the issue or get you a refund if a timely fix isn't available.
We currently only provide ticket (online form submission) or email support. Rest assured that you're in good hands; customers like our professional service!
Publication Date: April 2013
File Size: 1464 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once opened are non-refundable. View return policy .
- OnlineBookPlace.com Store Reviews on Google and Yahoo
ONLY YESTERDAY- AN INFORMAL HISTORY OF THE NINETEEN-TWENTIES by FREDERICK LEWIS ALLEN. Originally published in 1931. Contents include: INTRODUCTION by Roger Butter field Ix PREFACE xill I. PRELUDE MAY, 1919 i II. BACK TO NORMALCY 15 III. THE BIG RED SCARE 45 IV. AMERICA CONVALESCENT 76 V. THE REVOLUTION IN MANNERS AND MORALS 88 VI. HARDING AND THE SCANDALS 123 VII. COOLIDGE PROSPERITY 159 VIII. THE BALLYHOO YEARS 186 IX. THE REVOLT OF THE HIGHBROWS 226 X. ALCOHOL AND AL CAPONE 245 XI. HOME, SWEET FLORIDA 270 XII. THE BIG BULL MARKET 290 XIII. CRASH 3 XIV. AFTERMATH 1930-31 339 APPENDIX ON SOURCES 358 363. INTRODUCTION: IT is now twenty-five years since Only Yesterday was first published and it is time to say what has long been apparent that this is an American classic. It is by far the best account of all that happened in the United States during the wonderfully wacky 1920 5. It established a pattern for books of social history which other writers have imitated but have not been able to improve. It has been widely read and enjoyed more than half a million copies have been issued in the United States, England, Italy, Japan and Russia. The demand continues and no doubt it will continue, as long as Americans want to read wise and witty books about their past. Frederick Lewis Allen, who wrote this book, was a Harvard trained editor and connoisseur of human behavior who mixed the fascinating little details of history with the deeds of famous men. In Only Yesterday he wrote of Mah Jong and H. L. Mencken, of Couism and Calvin Coolidge, of Listerines flights of advertising fancy and Lindberghs flight to Paris. In his mod est preface to the original edition Allen suggested that time might make some changes in his judgments of major events. Yet one of the remarkable things about this book is the way it stands up in the light of later research. Since it was published we have had complete and scholarly accounts of the Wall Street crash of 1929, of the Harding scandals, of prohibition, o the politics and diplomacy of the period. Yet none of these books has essentially changed the overall picture that Allen gave us. And all of them have drawn on his facts and his interpreta tion. Of course Only Yesterday is very fortunate in its general sub ject. It deals with the most delightful decade that has occurred In the lifetime of anyone present. I am prejudiced in this re spect, and so is anyone else who was lucky enough to grow up in the twenties. If you compare the ten years that followed World War I with the ten that came after World War II, how can there be any choice Which menace would you rather have Al Capone or Joe McCarthy Which oracle from Detroit-Henry Ford or Charles E. Wilson Which homerun hitter the mighty Babe Ruth, or Mickey Mantle, with his bubble gum, and cheeks of downy yellow Which kind of national scandal do you prefer Teapot Dome with its gushers of oil and foun tains of dollars, or the one and a half mink coats that got passed around in Harry Trumans Washington The comparisons could go on forever, and they would all be in favor of the twenties. Take the writers alone Scott Fitz gerald, and Sinclair Lewis in his prime, and the young Hem ingway, and Thomas Wolfe…
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $9.99. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
After installing the appropriate app for your device, try a Sample Download (Sherlock Holmes from Project Gutenberg) before purchase. The sample is only for checking device compatibility.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.