Texans and War: New Interpretations of the State's Military History Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
Beginning with tribal wars among Native Americans before Europeans settled Texas and continuing through the Civil War, the soil of what would become the Lone Star State has frequently been stained by the blood of those contesting for control of its resources. In subsequent years and continuing to the present, its citizens have often taken up arms beyond its borders in pursuit of political values and national defense.
Although historians have studied the role of the state and its people in war for well over a century, a wealth of topics remain that deserve greater attention: Tejanos in World War II, the common Texas soldier’s interaction with foreign enemies, the perception of Texas warriors throughout the world, the role of religion among Texans who fight or contemplate fighting, controversial paramilitary groups in Texas, the role and effects of Texans’ ethnicity, culture, and gender during wartime, to name a few. In Texans at War , fourteen scholars provide new studies, perspectives, and historiographies to extend the understanding of this important field.
One of the largest collections of original scholarship on this topic to date, Texans and War will stimulate useful conversation and research among historians, students, and interested general readers. In addition, the breadth and originality of its contributions provide a solid overview of emerging perspectives on the military history and historiography of Texas and the region.
Partial listing of CONTENTS
Alexander Mendoza and Charles David Grear
PART I.* Texans Fighting through Time: Thematic Topics
1. The Indian Wars of Texas: A Lipan Apache Perspective p. 17
Thomas A Britten
2. Tejanos at War: A History of Mexican Texans in American Wars
3. Texas Women at War p. 69
Melanie A Kirkland
4. The Influence of War and Military Service on African Texans p. 97
5. The Patriot-Warrior Mystique: John S. Brooks, Walter P. Lane,
Samuel H. Walker, and the Adventurous Quest for Renown p. 113
Jimmy L. Bryan Jr.
6. “All Eyes of Texas Are on Comal County”: German Texans’ Loyalty
during the Civil War and World War I p. 133
Charles David Grear
Wars in Texas History: Chronological Conflicts
7. Between Imperial Warfare: Crossing of the Smuggling Frontier and Transatlantic Commerce on the Louisiana-Texas Borderlands,
1754–1785 p. 157
Francis X. Galan 8. The Mexican-American War: Reflections on an Overlooked Conflict p. 178
Kendall Milton 9. The Prolonged War: Texans Struggle to Win the Civil War during Reconstruction p.196
Kenneth W. Howell
10. The Texas lmmunes in the Spanish-American War p. 213
James M. McCaffrey
11. Surveillance on the Border: American Intelligence and the Tejano Community during World War I p. 227
Jose A. Ramirez
12. Texan Prisoners of the Japanese: A Study in Survival p. 248
Kelly E. Crager
13. Lyndon B. Johnson’s Bitch of a War: An Antiwar Essay p. 269
James M. Smallwood
14. Black Paradox in the Age of Terrorism: Military Patriotism or Higher Education p. 283
Ronald E. Goodwin Index p. 301
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $28.45. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.