The Bostonians Ebook
Publication Date: April 2004
File Size: 1307 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing 600 pages every 365 days is allowed.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
Henry James has written an American novel with a slate of all-American post-Civil War performers: abolitionists, transcendentalists, professional reformers, political zealots, ill-advised innocents. James still uses themes of the misuse of others and the desire to control them as the cardinal sin of all relationships. This story is also a chivalric tale of traditional society as enacted by Basil Ransom, an unreconstructed Southern intellectual from post-Civil War Mississippi. He travels north to Boston and meets Olive Chancellor who is a talented young woman brought up to join in the battle of equal rights for women. Olive has an innocent female friend, Verena, who has committed herself to the ‘Cause’ and admires Olive for her ability to speak eloquently in public circumstances. Both Olive and Basil are trying to save Verena for their own selfish reasons. James employs many different methods to present their reasons: a caricature of American life in the new industrial time after the Civil War, a fable whose hero is a defender of the family, a sociological introduction to the suffrage movement. The skirmishes become more personal to the characters and more specific to their situations as they explore the justifications for their beliefs. “The Bostonians” is a history as compelling and romantic as such an emotionally conflicted representation can offer. Please Note: This book is easy to read in true text, not scanned images that can sometimes be difficult to decipher. The Microsoft eBook has a contents page linked to the chapter headings for easy navigation. The Adobe eBook has bookmarks at chapter headings and is printable up to two full copies per year. Both versions are text searchable.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- We retrieve ratings from several sources on the web for your convenience. They are often good enough indicator of the work. In addition, you can also read Reviews.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $2.56. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.