The Dogs: A Personal History of Greyhound Racing Ebook
Publication Date: September 2009
File Size: 559 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
( 22.94% savings )
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
Greyhound racing is the second most popular spectator sport in Britain (after football), but to outsiders it has remained a mystery. The Dogs opens this world to us, explaining the history from its beginnings, its heyday and its problematic future, as well as unravelling the intricacies of the sport: how to tell a good sprinting dog from a staying one, the pristine logic of the racecard, and the unpredictability which can throw any race into disarray. The daughter of a dog owner Laura Thompson was fascinated by the sport from an early age, captivated by the worldly elegance of the stadia and enraptured by the unearthly beauty of the dogs. She catches the elusive, unique nature of the champion greyhounds, from all-time greats like Mick the Miller and Pigalle Wonder to her father’s beloved Commutering. She looks at the addictiveness of gambling and describes the different characters who stand at the trackside, the dog men. The Dogs takes us around the stadia, the kennels and the unlicensed ‘flapping’ tracks into the heart of greyhound racing, vividly evoking its magic and the glamorous heat of Derby night at White City, the shine of pride and affection in the eye of a dogman, and the punters’ belief that they can foretell, even manipulate, the future. At a time when greyhound racing’s place in sporting culture is under renewed threat, this informative, funny and moving account shows how it can capture and keep our deepest affection.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $9.24. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.