The Evolutionary Imperative: Why Change Happens, Where It Leads, and How We Might Survive Ebook
You're about to purchase a Downloadable Ebook
Hi, sorry for the interruption!
We're repeating some important information here to ensure that you're making an informed purchase. Please review it.
- Don't get caught unaware. Preview ebook and open the sample ebook on each of your intended devices before continuing.
- You will need a Free 3rd-party application that can read the intermediate .acsm file you will receive as download. PDF/Epub format is downloaded automatically by the application thereafter. Please install the necessary software first on your intended device of use.
- e-Book can be copied on up to 6 devices that must have the same Adobe ID
- We can only keep the download on our site until the ebook publishers/distributors authorize us to do so. Please keep a backup.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
Refunds are not allowed after the ebook is opened so please open the ebook directly on your intended device. Refund requests should be recieved within 7 days after download is made available. Of course, if you get an incorrect ebook ( different from what is mentioned in the title) or if the ebook doesn't open on the initial device, then we'll assist with fixing the issue or get you a refund if a timely fix isn't available.
We currently only provide ticket (online form submission) or email support. Rest assured that you're in good hands; customers like our professional service!
Publication Date: March 2017
File Size: 928 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once opened are non-refundable. View return policy .
- OnlineBookPlace.com Store Reviews on Google and Yahoo
The Evolutionary Imperative provides a unifying perspective on the evolution of the universe in all its physical and biological detail, with a call to action for redirecting the evolutionary trajectory of human society in a way that will preserve the planet and improve the human condition.
The book’s thesis is that the inevitability of change is driven by resolution of energy gradients through the operation of two fundamental laws of nature: the Principle of Least Action and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This energy dissipation model of the evolutionary imperative accounts for all the organization of matter and energy that has ever come about; the diversity of everything from rocks and rivers to microbes and macro-organisms; the behavior of animals, the elements of culture, the structure of societies, the operation of economic systems, and the moral codes we live by. The reality of this flowing tapestry of energy and information through the cosmos, the earth, and the life of all living things offers a transcendent view of the world, and the place and fate of the human species within it.
But abetted by technology in human hands, the accelerated pace of change has begun to degrade the environment to an unsustainable degree, and has led to economic and social inequities that threaten social stability. A possible solution to the impending catastrophe is that humans switch from energy consumption to information processing. While programed for energy dissipation by our biological heritage, we are capable of converting to the processing of information as our ultimate calling.
The book is written in straightforward language at the undergraduate collegiate level. While providing novel scientific insights and ample detail, its broad strokes and basic message can be appreciated without advanced training in science.
About the Author:
Charles H. M. Beck- Born in Chile but raised in Ontario, Canada, Dr. Beck received a bachelor’s and master’s degree from the University of Toronto, and a PhD in Psychology from Pennsylvania State University. His postdoctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania was followed by an academic career from Assistant Professor through Professor Emeritus at the University of Alberta, where he was honored with a Rutherford Award for Teaching. He has published over 40 scientific papers, mainly in the areas of psychopharmacology and operant conditioning. In 1995, he developed and supervised the Faculty of Science Department of Psychology paid internship program, giving undergraduates a year of work and research experience in the community. An accomplished outdoorsman and artist, he has written broadly about science, society, and the human condition.
Louis Neal Irwin – Born and raised in Texas, Dr. Irwin earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at Texas Tech University, and a PhD in biochemistry & physiology at the University of Kansas. He has held teaching and research positions at the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Columbia University, the Wayne State University School of Medicine, the Neurosciences Research Program of M.I.T., Simmons College, and the University of Texas at El Paso, where he is Professor Emeritus. He has published over 70 research papers and reviews in neuroscience, evolutionary biology, and astrobiology, has authored a neuroscience memoir ( Scotophobin ), and co-authored two books in astrobiology (_ Life in the Universe_ and Cosmic Biology ). He also writes periodically on issues of public policy, science, and society.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $9.99. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
After installing the appropriate app for your device, try a Sample Download (Sherlock Holmes from Project Gutenberg) before purchase. The sample is only for checking device compatibility.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.