Theories of Meaningfulness Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
Written by one of the masters of the foundation of measurement, Louis Narens’ new book thoroughly examines the basis for the measurement-theoretic concept of meaningfulness and presents a new theory about the role of numbers and invariance in science. The book associates with each portion of mathematical science a subject matter that the portion of science is intended to investigate or describe. It considers those quantitative or empirical assertions and relationships that belong to the subject matter to be meaningful (for that portion of science) and those that do not belong to be meaningless.
The first two chapters of the Theories of Meaningfulness introduce meaningfulness concepts, their place in the history of science, and some of their traditional applications. The idea that meaningfulness will have different, but interrelated uses is then introduced. To provide formal descriptions of these, the author employs a powerful framework that incorporates pure mathematics, provides for qualitative objects and relations, and addresses the relationships between qualitative objects and pure mathematics. The framework is then applied to produce axiomatic theories of meaningfulness, including generalizations and a new foundation for the famous Erlanger Program of mathematics. The meaningfulness concept is further specialized with the introduction of intrinsicness, which deals with meaningful concepts and relations that are lawful and qualitativeness, which is concerned with qualitative concepts. The concept of empiricalness is then introduced to distinguish it from meaningfulness and qualitativeness.
The failure to distinguish empiricalness from meaningfulness and qualitativeness has produced much confusion in the foundations of science literature and has generated many pseudo-controversies. This book suggests that many of these disappear when empiricalness is intersected with the other concepts to produce “meaningful and empirical relations,” “empirical laws,” and “qualitative and empirical concepts.”
A primary goal of this book is to show that the new theories of meaningfulness and intrinsicness developed in this book are not only descriptive but are also potent. Asserting that they do more than codify already existing concepts the book:
works out logical relationships between meaningfulness concepts that were previously unrecognized;
clarifies certain well-known and important debates by providing rich languages with new concepts and technical results (theorems) that yield insights into the debated issues and positions taken on them; and
*provides new techniques and results in substantive scientific areas of inquiry.
This book is about the role of mathematics in science. It will be useful to those concerned with the foundations of science in their respective fields. Various substantive examples from the behavioral sciences are presented.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $57.95. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.