Understanding Sickle Cell Disease Ebook
Publication Date: April 1995
File Size: 5401 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once downloaded are non-refundable. View return policy .
Although more is known about sickle cell disease than about any other inherited disease, no cure for it exists. In America alone, about one in 375 who are of African ancestry is born with sickle cell disease. A smaller number of Americans descended from families from the Mediterranean area, the Middle East, and India also are affected. In addition, about eight percent of black Americans who do not suffer from the disease itself carry the gene for it that can be transmitted to their children.
Sickle cell disease is of enormous biological, social, and historic importance. It was first described in medical literature almost a century ago. Improvements during the past two decades in our understanding of the disease and in medical care are permitting those afflicted to live longer, more comfortable and more productive lives.
This book was written for all who are interested in this disease—those who have it, their families, the carriers of the sickle cell gene, teachers, and those who wish to update their information about it. This overview of sickle cell disease explains what it is and how it is inherited, as well as the relationship between the sickle cell gene and its geographic origins, the way the gene has been spread throughout history, and the effect of sickle cell hemoglobin on red blood cells that carry it.
Understanding Sickle Cell Disease describes the variety of symptoms in both children and adults and details the emotional aspects of the disease. Of particular interest is a chapter on the care, especially the home care, of those who are affected.
This book explains how it is possible today for couples carrying the genes to raise families free of the disease. Although there is no known cure for sickle cell disease, there is little doubt that one will ultimately be devised. This volume surveys current research efforts and the promise they hold.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- We retrieve ratings from several sources on the web for your convenience. They are often good enough indicator of the work. In addition, you can also read Reviews.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $12.39. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (usually between 3 to 6) compatible devices.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.
IPad or IPhone
Free app Bluefire Reader required.