Unspent Motion: A Collection of Short Fiction Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
From KIRKUS REVIEWS: "A collection of short stories and a novella that explore love, aging, loss and solitude from a feminist perspective. In the short stories, nearly all of Newbrough’s memorable protagonists are older women, isolated in some way through circumstances or quirks of their personalities. In her forward, Newbrough explains that her intent is to explore how “despite a person’s isolation or withdrawal the world persists within the self and transformation occurs as long as life endures.” Here, where life and death are both metaphor and fact, Newbrough’s narrative carries significant weight. She makes clear how intellectual and emotional lives can transcend generations and how losses can be both permanent and permeable. A quietly compelling and intimate portrayal of lives whose final chapters often go largely unobserved. On the whole the prose of this collection is intelligent and evocative… Will be much appreciated by those interested in feminist literature and issues of aging."
“Thumbs up to ride in this womanist world-open road ahead, youth in the rear view mirror. These women want freedom-freedom for a big white dog, for the criminal, for a mother’s art, for themselves, and for those they love. Any hitchhiker free enough to sit on a ghost lap, ride out Katrina, and catch a little Mardi Gras, stick out your thumb.” — Jo LeCoeur, Incarnate Word University, author of Blue New Orleans and Medicine Woods
“What makes this collection stand out is not only the prose and pacing, the developed characters, or Newbrough’s ability to capture, through the right amount of detail, the essence of place and its impact on its people, but also the stories themselves. Each story reveals the dance between age and emotion; between the past and the present; between what will pass away and what will pass on to new generations.” — Cynthia Kane, Pre-Press Reviews
“Engaging glimpses into the trials, transitions, and triumphs of women and their companions. Anyone who enjoys drama and anticipation will find her characters and stories convincing and compelling, building to surprising conclusions. The variety of plots and settings give each narrative its own unique flavor, propelling the reader onward to the next encounter.” — Carolyn Merchant, U.C. Berkeley, author of The Death of Nature and Reinventing Eden "
An interesting and provocative set of stories in which the author portrays her main characters, usually ordinary middle-aged or elderly women. The storiesreveal the impact of an encounter or chance event. The last story, a novella, ingeniously tells the “life” of a painting of child and mannequin with eyes that grip the viewer; it extends from the birth of the painting over many decades through deaths, theft, voodoo spell and flood, in several quarters of New Orleans." — Ravenna Helson, University of California, Berkeley
"What unites all of these stories is their humanity. It is as if we have landed right into life. The author has an artist’s eye for the way things look, and an ear for the way people speak. Her voice and pace are distinctive: almost formal, languorous, but full of life and motion." — Kristin L. Nelson, Professor of Psychology, CCNJ
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $2.99. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.