VICTORIA: Portrait of a Queen Ebook
Sorry, this ebook is not available for sale. Please take a look at other works by author, or good alternatives from the same category.
“The history of the Victorian Age will never be written; we know too much about it.” So wrote Lytton Strachey in 1922; but he added, “Human beings are too important to be treated as mere symptoms of the past.” Instead of writing a summary of an era, he concentrated on four searching biographies of “an ecclesiastic, an educational authority, a woman of action, and a man of adventure.” Strachey deemed Cardinal Henry Edward Manning (1808 – 1892) “distinguished less for saintliness and learning than for practical ability. He won by art what he would never have won by force” as a supporter of educational reform and in settling the London Dock Strike of 1889. This extraordinary man straddled the two main religions of England, first as an Archdeacon in the Church of England, then as an Archbishop and Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church. Of Florence Nightingale (1820 – 1910) Strachey warns his readers that “in the real Miss Nightingale there was more that was interesting than in the legendary one; there was also less that was agreeable.” She was implacably opposed to the indifferent government and military officials who oversaw the running of hospitals. Thomas Arnold (1795 – 1842) became the headmaster of Rugby School in 1827. At a time when there was a push to modernize the British boarding schools that produced the nation’s officers, Arnold insisted on an education based on the Classics and Christianity. He also started the prefecture system by which senior students help run the school. Strachey concentrates on the events leading to General Charles George Gordon’s death in Khartoum in 1885, commenting “it is only fitting that the last moments of one whose whole life was passed in contradiction should be involved in mystery and doubt.” General Gordon, born in 1833, had been called out of semiretirement to resolve “the Egyptian situation.” This ground-breaking book revolutionized the way in which biographies were written, adding psychological depth and an element of irreverence to the studies of individuals who helped redirect the course of the world.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $7.95. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Reader required.
Most Android devices already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Kindle Fire (and any Android based Kindle models)
Kindle Should be able to open this format natively.
IPad or IPhone
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open this format. In case your hardware doesn't, then Adobe Reader may need to be installed.
Several Other devices supported
Most iPhone/iPad devices may already have ability to open PDF or EPub this format. Please refer to your device's documentation to ensure that there is support.