VICTORIA: Portrait of a Queen Ebook
You're about to purchase a Downloadable Ebook
Hi, sorry for the interruption!
We're repeating some important information here to ensure that you're making an informed purchase. Please review it.
- Don't get caught unaware. Preview ebook and open the sample ebook on each of your intended devices before continuing.
- You will need a Free 3rd-party application that can read the intermediate .acsm file you will receive as download. PDF/Epub format is downloaded automatically by the application thereafter. Please install the necessary software first on your intended device of use.
- e-Book can be copied on up to 6 devices that must have the same Adobe ID
- We can only keep the download on our site until the ebook publishers/distributors authorize us to do so. Please keep a backup.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
Refunds are not allowed after the ebook is opened so please open the ebook directly on your intended device. Refund requests should be recieved within 7 days after download is made available. Of course, if you get an incorrect ebook ( different from what is mentioned in the title) or if the ebook doesn't open on the initial device, then we'll assist with fixing the issue or get you a refund if a timely fix isn't available.
We currently only provide ticket (online form submission) or email support. Rest assured that you're in good hands; customers like our professional service!
Publication Date: May 2011
File Size: 839 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once opened are non-refundable. View return policy .
- OnlineBookPlace.com Store Reviews on Google and Yahoo
“The history of the Victorian Age will never be written; we know too much about it.” So wrote Lytton Strachey in 1922; but he added, “Human beings are too important to be treated as mere symptoms of the past.” Instead of writing a summary of an era, he concentrated on four searching biographies of “an ecclesiastic, an educational authority, a woman of action, and a man of adventure.” Strachey deemed Cardinal Henry Edward Manning (1808 – 1892) “distinguished less for saintliness and learning than for practical ability. He won by art what he would never have won by force” as a supporter of educational reform and in settling the London Dock Strike of 1889. This extraordinary man straddled the two main religions of England, first as an Archdeacon in the Church of England, then as an Archbishop and Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church. Of Florence Nightingale (1820 – 1910) Strachey warns his readers that “in the real Miss Nightingale there was more that was interesting than in the legendary one; there was also less that was agreeable.” She was implacably opposed to the indifferent government and military officials who oversaw the running of hospitals. Thomas Arnold (1795 – 1842) became the headmaster of Rugby School in 1827. At a time when there was a push to modernize the British boarding schools that produced the nation’s officers, Arnold insisted on an education based on the Classics and Christianity. He also started the prefecture system by which senior students help run the school. Strachey concentrates on the events leading to General Charles George Gordon’s death in Khartoum in 1885, commenting “it is only fitting that the last moments of one whose whole life was passed in contradiction should be involved in mystery and doubt.” General Gordon, born in 1833, had been called out of semiretirement to resolve “the Egyptian situation.” This ground-breaking book revolutionized the way in which biographies were written, adding psychological depth and an element of irreverence to the studies of individuals who helped redirect the course of the world.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $7.95. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
After installing the appropriate app for your device, try a Sample Download (Sherlock Holmes from Project Gutenberg) before purchase. The sample is only for checking device compatibility.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.