Voice with a Smile: True Stories from American Telephone Operators Ebook
You're about to purchase a Downloadable Ebook
Hi, sorry for the interruption!
We're repeating some important information here to ensure that you're making an informed purchase. Please review it.
- Don't get caught unaware. Preview ebook and open the sample ebook on each of your intended devices before continuing.
- You will need a Free 3rd-party application that can read the intermediate .acsm file you will receive as download. PDF/Epub format is downloaded automatically by the application thereafter. Please install the necessary software first on your intended device of use.
- e-Book can be copied on up to 6 devices that must have the same Adobe ID
- We can only keep the download on our site until the ebook publishers/distributors authorize us to do so. Please keep a backup.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
Refunds are not allowed after the ebook is opened so please open the ebook directly on your intended device. Refund requests should be recieved within 7 days after download is made available. Of course, if you get an incorrect ebook ( different from what is mentioned in the title) or if the ebook doesn't open on the initial device, then we'll assist with fixing the issue or get you a refund if a timely fix isn't available.
We currently only provide ticket (online form submission) or email support. Rest assured that you're in good hands; customers like our professional service!
Publication Date: May 2003
File Size: 2463 Kbytes
Restrictions set by Publisher:
- Text-to-speech feature not available.
- Printing is not permitted.
- You cannot copy text from file.
- Free application Adobe Digital Editions, Aldiko reader, or Bluefire reader required .
( 26.5% savings )
- Check Supported devices and software requirements .
- Ebooks once opened are non-refundable. View return policy .
- OnlineBookPlace.com Store Reviews on Google and Yahoo
UNSUNG HEROES OF THE INFORMATION AGE Do you ever wish you could “press four to scream”? If you long for the days when you could easily reach a live, friendly, “smiling” voice for help, this book’s for you. With an Introduction by Lily Tomlin, VOICE WITH A SMILE takes an inside look at the unsung heroes of the Information Age – American Telephone Operators – with a heart-warming and hilarious collection of their own stories, in their own words. In our increasingly isolated culture of “pre-recorded messages”, even the Internet has its limitations. When your house is on fire, you’ve got a flat tire, or you need to hear your mother’s voice, the telephone, and those who help us on the other end, will always play a critical role in our lives. VOICE WITH A SMILE brings us those true- and often shocking – stories from the other end of the phone line. This collection of memorable anecdotes – comical, touching, and bizarre – gives voice to decades of operators’ “strange encounters” on the front lines of the American public. Inside, you’ll find stories of brilliant, brave, and amusing operators who, over the decades, often filled in as a psychiatrist, midwife, friend, trivial pursuit expert, concerned parent, CPR instructor, mind reader, and chef de cuisine. If you’ve ever been curious about life on the other end of that “voice with a smile” (or you’re still pressing menu options in search of one), this is a must-read. Our increasingly “service-oriented” economy will always have a need to provide their most important asset- customers – with live support. Anyone who works in the area of “value-added services” for those customers- from Customer Service Consultants to Travel Agents – will identify with the operators’ joys, trials, and responsibilities. VOICE WITH A SMILE brings this “legacy of intangibles” alive through personal and authentic accounts, and their collective stories speak to the larger narrative of changing American culture.
Should you buy this Ebook?
We've put together a collection of resources to help you make a decision regarding whether you should buy this Ebook from us.
- Is your device one of these? Ebook reading software will work on the following devices: Windows, Mac, Android 2.2+ Devices, IPad (iOS 3+), IPhone (iOS 3+), Kindle Fire. Several other devices are also supported by the software.
- Compare prices. Our price is $7.35. If you would like to research our competitors to see their prices. Here're some places to look:
Why should you buy Ebooks from onlinebookplace.com?
We've had 1000s of downloads so far and with over 300000+ Ebooks to choose from, onlinebookplace.com is becoming a favorite Ebook Store for many. Allow us to win you over with our competitive pricing, upfront policies and diligent customer service.
- Every Ebook page on onlinebookplace.com has information on restrictions that publishers have placed on the Ebook along with a clear indication of software required to read the Ebooks.
- If ratings for an Ebook are available from one of several sources online, then we've attempted to get those to help you make a better purchasing decision about the Ebook. Reviews from Goodreads (a popular reviews site) are provided on the same if they're available.
- In most cases, we've also attempted to get you links to the Ebook on our competitor's site so that you can compare prices with relative ease.
- We use McAfee to scan for any vulnerabilities in the system to ensure that any information that you give us does not fall into the wrong hands.
- We use Paypal, a trusted 3rd party payment provider to accept Payments -- your payment information doen't reside with us. Any information that does end up with us is safe.
After installing the appropriate app for your device, try a Sample Download (Sherlock Holmes from Project Gutenberg) before purchase. The sample is only for checking device compatibility.
Check below for device compatibility and any free 3rd-party software requirements. Choice of what ebook reading app to use is yours, we only present a few common apps that several customers of ours have preferred. You should be able to transfer your purchase to more than one (upto 6) compatible devices as long as your ebook-reading apps have been registered with the same Adobe ID before opening the file.
Windows/Mac PC or Laptop
Free app Adobe Digital Editions required. Note that this software is not the same as Adobe Reader.